Monday, July 27, 2009

19 Days!!

Hi everyone!  Tomorrow will be my sixth day working here at X Base Christchurch, and boy, can I tell you how much working until 1p totally blows up your plans for the day when it gets dark at 530p!!  I haven't much gotten out and about around the city, but luckily I did a bunch of the cool stuff when my parents and Brad were here, so I feel like I'm not missing out on too much.  All the people I work with are great and make the job easier.  Today Mia got fired for basically moving a sweatshirt out of a room (she was accused of stealing), so that was kinda lame and all of us are feeling pretty negative about how the Base treats us (we don't even get free laundry!!).  This week all of us workers, more or less, are leaving X Base and moving on; Mia is going to Queenstown Friday, José is going to India tomorrow, Antony is leaving for god knows what on the 3rd (maybe back to England, I can't remember), Merl (I always thought it was Mel, luckily I was only around the guy misnaming him for a day) left 4 or 5 days ago, Nicole is moving to another hostel tomorrow, and I'm leaving for Queenstown on Saturday.  I plan on quiting on Thursday so I can go and to Akorua on Friday, which will be cool.  So yeah, they're definitely gonna be experiencing a shortage of staff soon, haha.  Christchurch is pretty cool, but I feel like I would like Queenstown about a hundred times more and am soooo excited about it.  Basically, my plan until I come home (which is in 19 days!) is to go to Queenstown on Saturday, hang out there and check out LOTR, bungy jumping (Nevis Bungy), and skydiving (NZone) activities until Wednesday, then do a day trip out to Milford Sound on Thursday and come back to Queenstown on Friday for one more day.  On Saturday I'm going to Fox Glacier and staying there until when I leave for Punakaiki on Monday.  At Fox Glacier I'm going on a half-day hike, it was recommended to me and I figure NZD$89 isn't too expensive to do something pretty cool.  As I said, on Monday I will be going to Punakaiki, which is where the Pancake Rocks and blowholes are; I'll be going to Dolomite Point that same day.  The next day I'm taking a bus to Greymouth to check out the town for an afternoon, then taking a train (which is supposed to be the most amazing train ride ever) from Greymouth back here to Christchurch, where I'll be flying out to Auckland the next day (for, get this, NZD$39).  I'll spend a day in Auckland, then fly home the next day.  It's gonna be a crazy next 19 days, but honestly I need to keep my mind off of everything that's going on in my life right now, or at least as much as I can so I don't get too depressed.  Oh and when I get back I might head up to Calgary to go on a roadtrip through British Columbia with my friend Lisa I met in Wellington, that'll be pretty awesome if I can manage it.  I hope everything is going well back home, I miss and love you all, and can't wait to see everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment